How to Brew Kombucha (single brew)

I have been brewing kombucha for about four months now. I have upgraded from brewing single brews to continuous brewing. You can buy the Lisa T's glass drink dispenser from Target for $40. It is so handy!
 
It is said there are many health benefits to drinking kombucha and you can pretty much replace apple cider vinegar with it. I haven't really noticed the benefits of kombucha because my lifestyle has drastically changed these past few months. But I definitely love drinking it. I have gone on to flavour my own kombucha as well. My boyfriend loves it. I love it. It is so refreshing to drink. It is like having a soft drink, but with all the health benefits and none of the sugary death.
 
You can adjust the taste of your kombucha by adjusting the length of time you brew your kombucha. The longer the brew, the more vinegary and less sweet it is. I prefer mine to be less sweet so I brew mine for a little bit. Once you bottle it up, leaving only 1/4 inch gap and let it further ferment for another day or two, it will become fizzy as well. So delicious!
 
I have even been using kombucha as toner. I let it brew a bit longer than usual so it's a bit more vinegary. Then I dab my cotton pad with it and use it on my face. So much gunk comes off my face. I can't get enough of this stuff.
 
Brewing kombucha is simple enough.
What you need:
1 glass jar
1 cloth
1 rubber band
1 scoby
starter tea
white sugar
water
black/green tea
 
Batch Size
1 litre
2 litres
3 litres
4 litres
Glass jar
1.5 litre
2.5 litres
3.5 litres
4.5 litres
Water
1 litre
2 litres
3 litres
4 litres
Teabags
2
4
6
8
Sugar
1/4 cup
1/2 cup
3/4 cup
1 cup
Kombucha tea
100ml
200ml
300ml
400ml
Scoby
1
1
1
1

 
Instructions:
1. Boil water and turn off the heat.
2. Add sugar and stir until it dissolves.
3. Add teabags, cover and leave until the tea cools completely.
4. Discard the teabags.
5. Wash the jar with water or white vinegar.
6. Add cooled tea to the jar.
7. Add kombucha starter tea and the scoby to the jar.
8. Cover the jar with the linen cloth and secure with a rubber band.
9. Leave the jar in a cool, dark, dry place, away from sunlight, fruits and other fermenting foods.
10. Taste test after 5 to 14 days depending on the weather. It should smell like apple cider vinegar and taste tart and not sweet.
11. Decant into a flip top glass bottle and allow it to further ferment for another couple of days before refrigerating. 
 
You can purchase a kombucha scoby off me for $5 each. Included is a scoby, 100ml starter tea (which is enough for you to make 1L on your first brew), and written instructions. I prefer pick up (I live in Perth), but shipping can be arranged and will be at your expense.
 
I also sell plain kombucha at $5 per litre and flavoured kombucha at $6 per litre (not including the bottle). I can include flip top glass bottles for an additional $5 each. Kombucha is strictly pick up only.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment