Crossfit

I have mentioned previously that my lifestyle has changed dramatically recently.

I have stopped
I have started
  • using bi-carb soda and apple cider vinegar in my hair
  • using jojoba oil as make-up remover
  • using coconut oil as night cream and my own diy face cream in the day
  • brewing my own and drinking kombucha
  • oil pulling with coconut oil
  • making sure I get 8-9 hours of sleep every night
  • gardening, growing my own vegetables for the past year
  • raising my own chickens for eggs
But my most recent, and biggest change yet, is crossfit.

Almost four months ago, I told my boyfriend that I wanted to try crossfit. He thought about it and said I should workout in our backyard for a couple of months before I go for the free trial that most places offer. I had already been doing 200 air squats every other day for over a year. But other than that I haven't done much exercise. I was a bit annoyed with him at first... Crossfit is meant for anyone of any level of fitness. I did what I was told anyway.

We have some equipment in our backyard. Some barbells, weights, a couple make shift kettlebells, etc. For two months, I did a short circuit that he wrote for me, three times a week. The workout was short - took me maybe 20 minutes to do it. And it was effective. I could feel myself getting stronger.

Week 1:
3 rounds of
8 tricep dips
8 ring rows
8 squats (with 10kg weights)
8 shoulder press (10kg)
8 kettlebell swings (15kg)
8 incline pushups

Not going to lie. Shoulder press was hard the hardest the first time he showed me. I have done everything else before, but not shoulder press, and my arms are very weak. But as the week progressed, I found that 8 shoulder presses were nothing and they were getting so easy. So then he decided to up my reps to 10 each by week 2.

Week 3, I was doing 4 rounds of 8 reps and week 4 saw me doing 4 rounds of 10 reps. I could feel myself getting stronger and stronger. From only a month ago, I could barely do 8 shoulder presses to now, I could do 4 rounds of 10! That feeling was addictive. In week 5, he decided to increase my 10kg weights to 15kg, and my workout went back to 3 rounds of 8.

Week 5:
3 rounds of
8 tricep dips
8 ring rows
8 squats (15kg)
8 shoulder press (15kg)
8 kettlebell swings (10kg)
8 incline pushups

Week 6, I was doing 3 rounds of 10. Week 7, 4 rounds of 8. And week 8, 4 rounds of 10.

Finally, 2 months have come and gone and I had worked out religiously 3 times a week - I was finally allowed to trial crossfit. Southern Crossfit offers free trial on Saturday mornings 9am and 10am. I signed up and went to the 9am trial. Man, it was hard. Not going to lie. I am glad my boyfriend made me do some workout in the backyard to prepare me for it. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much otherwise. Or would I?

Either way, that workout killed me. I was sore for almost a week after that. But I loved it! I used to be a competitive swimmer up until I finished high school. I loved swimming. I haven't really found a sport I enjoyed as much since. But crossfit, crossfit is something. It's so challenging, so hard. But when you're done, it feels invigorating.

I signed up for the mandatory 2 week foundation class, and 2 weeks later, I was officially doing my first WOD. It has been more than 4 weeks since my first official crossfit class. I am still loving it. I look forward to waking up at 5:20am in winter before the sun comes up, to workout, and I'm not even a gym junkie. I love that the workouts are so short. Classes are an hour long, but the workouts themselves are usually between 8 to 20 minutes depending on the WOD. At least the ones I have done so far are. The workouts are brutal, but knowing that it only lasts for that long makes it much easier to bear. The best part is knowing you are getting better with every workout! Actually, no, the best part is feeling like all your fat is melting whilst you're doing the workout because it is that brutal!

I love doing weights. So good to see the numbers go up quickly, knowing that you are getting stronger. That, and I hate cardio. All the rowing and running kills me.

I hope I am on my way to achieving a better looking body for summer... and we will be attending a wedding in India in February. That's another five and a half months away. I will definitely check in before then about my results!

There are lots of hate on crossfit. I think it's important that you look for a crossfit box that has good trainers. They should not only know what they are talking about, but they also understand how to scale your workout to suit your level, and make sure to teach you and help you maintain good form. Most importantly though, try it out. Have a look at what the box and the trainers are like. See it for yourself. You could hate it... or you could end up loving it like me.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment