Organic Garden 7 - Spring

The boyfriend and I went to a friend's house near ours and their vegetable patch is beautiful! It is much emptier than ours, but it is neat and without weed. Though they have only just started. They also have chickens in the backyard for eggs! I really want to have some chickens in our backyard too but our lease won't allow us to have animals. :( shame. I hate birds, but I figured if I have them as little chicks and they grow up with me then I would be less afraid right?
 
Anyway, after harvesting the broccoli and cauliflower, I decided I was tired of them and the little baby offshoots were not enough for me to keep them, so my boyfriend and I went on another shopping spree at Bunnings for more seedlings to prepare for summer! Over the last two days, I have planted the little seedlings and replanted some of the older plants to make organise the backyard a bit more. I've had to pull out all the remnants of the cauliflowers and broccolis to make space for our new tiny seedlings!
 
Bought some beautiful butterhead lettuce. Hopefully they will be ready in 4-6 weeks so I can get more seedlings. It's getting so addictive, planting new things!
 
I have been wanting to get a peppermint plant for a while... and by a while, I mean 2 weeks. I love peppermint tea and I love the idea of having fresh peppermint leaves for that. As you can see, that's the only plant in a pot because apparently they are runners and would overtake the entire garden if you don't contain the roots.
 
Bought more tuscan kale. We've gotten more salads this time round because even though the patch is my little project, I like to sometimes make enough for the entire house and the puny plants we have is just not enough to sustain 6 people.
 
The salads include more spinach as well, and I've replanted the old spinach right next to the new seedlings.

Also includes rocket...
 
Then we bought more strawberry seedlings because the old one wasn't flowering yet and my boyfriend is an impatient man.
 
Some tomato seedlings because our last one died in the cold...

A butternut pumpkin seedling, though we won't be planting this in the patch. It will probably go on the other side of the orange tree because we just do not have the space for it!
 
Tadaa! That's our entire vegetable patch for now. I can't wait to harvest the cabbage so that we can grow other stuff in its place.
 
We also bought some thyme seedlings but they were tiny and in a corner so I forget to take a picture of them... silly me.
 
The rain has really helped with the growth of the plants. Unfortunately, it also brought out all the creepy crawlies like snails, slugs and caterpillars. It was like a buffet for them! They were just destroying all my vegetables and I was pretty sad about it. The cabbage leaves were all bitten through and all. But they are not going away so that's good! We will be binging on cabbage soon!

Share this:

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment