Bobotie

Paleo Gluten-Free Bobotie Recipe
As you may or may not know, my boyfriend is South African, so I tried to make him this South African dish called Bobotie. Since I've never had the proper one myself, I don't know what it really looks like or how it tastes. But I've tried to stick to the recipe as much as I could and here's the outcome. I didn't make enough of the crust on top so it didn't come out as pretty as it should, maybe the dish I used was too wide. So you might want to use a smaller dish.
Ingredients:
900g ground beef
2 onions, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp cumin powder
1 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups purple cabbage, finely chopped
2 large eggs
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup apples, finely chopped
2 bay leaves, powdered
1/2 cup almond meal
  • Preheat the oven to 175C. Fry the onions in the oil over medium heat until golden brown.
  • Add the cumin powder and turmeric. Fry for two minutes stirring the whole time and then add the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
  • Crumble the ground meat into a pan and cook over medium-low heat until mostly done.
  • Mix the meat, cabbage, onion mix and fruit with 1 egg. Pack into a casserole dish and sprinkle with the crushed bay leaves.
  • Mix the almond meal with the remaining egg. Spread the mix out on top of the meat to make a thin almond crust.
  • Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes.

Share this:

, , , , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment